7 Record Keeping Tips For Great Pet Boarding Business Management
Pet business management improves with proper pet record keeping. Unlike a grocery store business where inventory is non-living and stored on shelves, the inventory at a pet business is live running animals that often get in trouble or waste precious employee time. Keeping records of each pet is critical for a smooth operation.
These tips will help business operators, pets and pet owners have the best possible experience.
1. Do not go over the limit of pets a business can comfortably maintain for a safe, healthy and happy experience, remember the limit has a reason.
2. Pets come with luggage, collars, leashes, bedding and toys. Keep track of all pet items by storing belongings on individual hooks or in containers.
3. Label all pet items with the pet’s name, owner’s name and number.
4. Note each item on the pet’s client card and hook or container. Labels do get lost too.
4. Be sure to make an offline client card for each pet with owner contact and pet health information, even if you are using a computer system. Lost owner contact information is a disaster when a systems crashes.
5. Keep a daily log of the pet’s stay, include moods, health, accidents and fun times for future reference.
6. Tag each pet with a way to tell them apart from the same similar breeds.
7. Keep updated records.
These tips will help avoid major mistakes, like giving the wrong pet or leash back to the wrong owner or determining which pet is which in the play yard when they all look the same.